Labels

Saturday 12 January 2013

Creme Brûlée

Creme Brûlée has been on my list of things to bake for a while now. The first time I made creme brûlée was in school where it was a no bake creme brûlée. Since then, I have searched for other recipes which were the normal baked creme brûlée and bookmarked one which I thought was good. This is recipe is from George Calombaris from Masterchef Australia.  There is a video where he shows the step by step way of making the creme brûlée which I found was really helpful.



 I bought these ramekins a few months back with the sole intention of making creme brûlée and also invested in a small little blow torch to have a blast with torching the sugar! Then it took me so long to find the butane gas to fill the torch. Finally everything I needed to make creme brûlée were ready. Then they sat in the cupboard waiting to be used for almost a month! hahaha..... 


Finally I did it. Made them one afternoon and had them for dessert after dinner. I was doubtful of the creme brûlée when I took it out from the oven. It looked a little overcooked but the centre was still a little wobbly. I cooled them in the fridge for almost 4hours and then torched the sugar to create the hard sugar layer. Put it back in the fridge for a short while before eating it.



The texture was smooth and taste was not too sweet. I love the little specks of vanilla seeds in the custard. Real vanilla bean is really much nicer than vanilla essence. Then the caramelised sugar layer had the crack sound when I knock the spoon into it. Yum! The recipe was quite simple but I am not sure if it is really easy or I was just lucky. Hopefully next time I make it, it will still be as good as this. So happy!!



2 comments:

  1. Yea, I still remember you said you bought a torch in your early blog!

    The ramekin we got back home is mainly white colour, so SH would dying to have one of these lovely red ones.

    Creme brulee.. hochak! Never notice whether vanilla added in it, tempting temping..
    Ming

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha... dont worry, when you are here, I will make for you ok. :) hope it won't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete